San Francisco Department of the Environment
9922 Environmental Associate
School Education Associate
Appointment Type: Permanent Exempt
Filing deadline: 5pm Friday, October 30, 2009
Salary: $ 17.5625 per hour
Date Issued: 10/16/09
Job tentatively slated to start December 28, 2009
The mission of the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) is to improve, enhance, and preserve the environment, and to promote San Francisco’s long-term environmental sustainability. SF Environment includes Recycling, Toxics Reduction, Environmental Justice, Clean Air Transportation, Climate Change, Energy, Green Building, Urban Forest and Public Information Programs.
For more information on the School Program, visit http://www.sfenvironment.com/aboutus/school/
Position Description: The Associate will assist Program Managers and professional staff in performing professional level work such as the following:
♦ Present dynamic assemblies to hundreds of students, and classroom presentations to public and private schools in S.F.
♦ Assess and implement school composting and recycling programs
♦ Assist with coordinating and scheduling school field trips
♦ Assist in coordinating and implementing teachers’ environmental workshops
♦ Assist with writing and updating directories, websites, curriculum, and other department publications
♦ Assist in coordinating special events and presentations
♦ Provide general administrative support as needed
♦ Follow City Department procedures, such as conserving and following the 4 R’s in the office
♦ Perform administrative support and other duties and tasks as required by the Program
• Baccalaureate degree in a related field from a recognized college or university;
• Excellent public speaking and writing skills for both children and adults—comfortable speaking in front of large audiences;
• Knowledge of environmental principles and issues;
• Excellent researching, organizational and project management skills;
• Responsible, motivated, and able to work independently and in a team;
• Word processing, spreadsheet, database and internet proficiency;
• Possess a valid California driver’s license
• Familiarity with San Francisco;
• Theatrical experience;
• Fluency in a second language used commonly in San Francisco
Appointment Type :
(1) This is a one year position. A second year may be possible contingent upon City budget conditions and demonstrated competence and professionalism in the first year of employment. Participation in this program does not guarantee a second year of employment nor any future employment with S.F. Environment or the City and County of San Francisco.
(2) This applicant pool will be used to fill any vacancies that may occur for this job in the next six months.
Application Procedure :
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit http://www.jobaps.com/sf/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=pex&R2=9922&R3=055948 to begin the application process by registering an account.
• Click and select the desired job announcement • Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information • Click on “I am a New User” • Follow instructions given on the screen
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact Claudia Molina at 415-355-3748, or via email at claudia.Molina@sfgov.org
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 44 Gough Street, San Francisco, for use by the public. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Applications for this recruitment process will be accepted from Friday, October 16, 2009 until Friday, Oct. 30, 2009.
All applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying experience, education, training, license, etc. at any point in the application, examination or departmental selection process. A copy of a diploma or transcripts must be submitted to verify the education requirement when requested. Verification of experience, when requested, must be on the employer’s letterhead and must show the name of the applicant, job title(s), duties, dates of service, and must be signed by the employer. City employment may be verified by submitting a performance evaluation in lieu of other verification.
Failure to provide the required verification when requested may result in rejection of application and/or removal from eligibility for referral and appointment in this class. Verification may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement explaining why verification cannot be obtained. Waiver requests will not automatically be granted, but will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Minorities, Women, and Persons With Disabilities are Encouraged to Apply We are an Equal Opportunity Employer