Internships - Program Assistant for Oakland United School District Food Recovery Program
Food Shift has launched a pioneering program in partnership with the Oakland United School District to recover edible food from school cafeterias that would otherwise be thrown away. The food is collected by Food Shift and redistributed to students and their families along with tips and tools to reduce food waste in their homes. This is the first stage of a program that intends to create a model that can be replicated throughout Oakland and beyond.
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours a week
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Oakland. Must have car, bicycle or be able to physically visit school sites each week.
The Project Assistant will work directly with the Program Director to help coordinate and manage our food recovery program in partnership with Oakland Unified School District. The role will involve school visits until the end of the school year and will begin again in the Fall. Program development work may be available throughout the summer on an ad hoc basis.
Duties will include:
- Attending school for distribution times in the morning and/or afternoon (approximately 1 hour each)
- Facilitating process to ensure proper tracking and distribution
- Assisting parent volunteers with distribution
- Taking careful notes, providing feedback on process and helping to implement and communicate updates
- Researching and contacting local food assistance organizations
- Assisting in the creation and dissemination of program evaluations
- Tracking program development and best practices
- Preferably proficient in Spanish.
Ideally we would like to find someone who can work with us throughout the entire school year. Yet we ask for a minimum of a 4 month commitment to get us through the first half of the school year.