· M.S. Soil Science, University of California, Riverside. 1987.
o Thesis title: "Nitrogen Isotope Fractionation in Burned and Unburned Chaparral Soils"
· B.A. Plant Science, University of California, Riverside. 1977.
· Stable isotopes
· Soil nitrogen cycling
· Emissions from soils of radiatively active trace gases
· Lipid biomarkers
· Golf (boy, am I getting old!)
· Herman, D.J., K.K. Johnson, C.H. Jaeger III, E. Schwartz, and M.K. Firestone. 2006. Root influence on nitrogen mineralization and nitrification in Avena barbata rhizosphere soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70:1504-1511.
· Canals, R.M., V.T. Eviner, D.J. Herman, and F.S. Chapin III. Plant colonizers shape early N-dynamics in gopher-mounds. Plant and Soil 276:327-334.
· Canals, R.M., D.J. Herman, and M.K. Firestone. 2003. How disturbance by fossorial mammals alters N cycling in a California annual grassland. Ecol 84(4):875-881.
· Herman, D.J., L.J. Halverson, and M.K. Firestone. 2003. Nitrogen dynamics in an annual grassland: oak canopy, climate, and microbial population effects. Ecol. Appl. 13(3):593-604.
· Tokunaga, T.K., J. Wan, M.K. Firestone, T.C. Hazen, K.R. Olson, D.J. Herman, S.R. Sutton, and A. Lanzirotti. 2003. In situ reduction of chromium(VI) in heavily contaminated soils through organic carbon amendment. J. Environ. Qual. 32:16441-1649.
· Silver, W.L., D.J. Herman, and M.K. Firestone. 2001. Dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium in upland tropical forest soils. Ecol. 82(9):2410-2416.
· Herman, D.J., P.D. Brooks, M. Ashraf, f. Azam, and R.L. Mulvaney. 1995. Evaluation of methods for nitrogeen-15 analysis of inorganic nitrogen in soil extracts. II. diffusion methods. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 26(11&12):1675-1685.