- Irvine, IC, C.A. Brigham, K.N. Suding, and JBH Martiny. 2012. The Abundance of Pink- Pigmented Facultative Methylotrophs in the Root Zone of Plant Species in Invaded Coastal Sage Scrub Habitat. PLOS ONE 7: e31026.
- Smith, J.G., W. Sconiers, M.J. Spasojevic, I.W. Ashton, and K.N. Suding. 2012. Phenological Changes in Alpine Plants in Response to Increased Snowpack, Temperature, and Nitrogen. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 44: 135-142.
- Eitzel, M.V., S. Diver, H. Sardiñas, L.M. Hallett, J.J. Olson, A. Romero, G.L.T. Oliveira, A.T. Schuknecht, R. Tidmore, and K.N. Suding. 2012. Top 10 Groundbreaking Papers in Restoration Ecology. Restoration Ecology 20: 147-152.
- Spasojevic, M.J., and K.N. Suding. 2012. Inferring community assembly mechanisms from functional diversity patterns: the importance of multiple assembly processes. Journal of Ecology 100: 652-661.
- Potts, D.L., K.N. Suding, G.C. Winston, A.V. Rocha, M.L. Goulden. 2012. Ecological effects of experimental drought and prescribed fire in a southern California coastal grassland. Journal of Arid Environments 81: 59-66.
- Gough, L., Gross, K.L., Cleland, E.E., C.M. Clark, S.L. Collins, J.E. Fargione, S.C. Pennings, and K.N. Suding. 2012. Incorporating clonal growth form clarifies the role of plant height in response to nitrogen addition. Oecologia 169: 1053-1062.
- Suding, K.N. and E. Leger. 2012. Shifting baselines: dynamics of evolution and community change in a changing world. In Restoration Ecology: The New Frontier Van Andel, J. and J. Aronson, eds. Pages 281-292.
- Suding, K.N. 2011. Toward an era of restoration in ecology: successes, failures, and opportunities ahead. Annual Review Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 42: 465-487.
- Cleland, E.E., C.M. Clark, S.L. Collins, J.E. Fargione, L. Gough, K.L. Gross, S.C. Pennings, and K.N. Suding. 2011. Patterns of trait convergence and divergence among native and exotic species in herbaceous plant communities are not modified by nitrogen enrichment Journal of Ecology 99: 1327-1338.
- Aicher, R..J., L. Larios, and K.N. Suding. 2011. Seed supply, recruitment and assembly: quantifying relative seed and establishment limitation in a plant community context. American Naturalist 178: 464-477
- Spasojevic, M.J. and K.N. Suding. 2011. Contrasting effects of hemiparasites on ecosystem processes: can positive litter effects offset the negative effects of parasitism? Oecologia 165: 193-200.
- Harpole, W.S. and K.N. Suding. 2011 A test of the niche dimension hypothesis in an arid annual grassland. Oecologia 166: 197-205.
- La Pierre K.J., W.S, Harpole and K.N. Suding. 2010. Strong feeding preference of an exotic generalist herbivore for an exotic forb: a case of invasional antagonism. Biological Invasions 12: 3025-3031.
- Sandel, B.J., L.J. Goldstein, N.J. Kraft, K.N. Suding, and D.D. Ackerley 2010. Contrasting trait responses in plant communities to experimental and geographic variation in precipitation. New Phytologist 188: 565-575.
- Grman, E., E. Hayes, and K.N. Suding. 2010. Within-year soil legacies contribute to strong priority effects of exotics on native California grassland communities. Restoration Ecology 18:664-670.
- Ashton, IW, AE Miller, WD Bowman, and KN Suding. 2010. Niche complementarity due to plasticity in resource use: plant partitioning of chemical nitrogen forms. Ecology 11:3252- 3260.
- Gross, N., P. Liancourt, P. Choler, K.N. Suding, and S. Lavorel. 2010. Strain and vegetation effects on local limiting resources explain the outcomes of biotic interactions. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 12: 9-19.
- Gross, N., G. Kunstler, P. Liancourt, F. deBello, K.N. Suding, and S. Lavorel. 2009. Linking individual response to biotic interactions with community structure: a trait-based framework. Functional Ecology 6: 1167-1178.
- Cherwin, K., T.R. Seastedt, and K.N. Suding. 2009. Effects of nutrient manipulations and grass removal on cover, species composition, and invasibility of a novel grassland in Colorado. Restoration Ecology 17: 818-826.
- Suding, K.N. and R.J. Hobbs. 2009. Threshold models in restoration and conservation: a developing framework. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24:271-279.
- Suding, K.N. and L.J. Goldstein. 2008. Testing the Holy Grail framework: using functional traits to predict ecosystem change. Commentary. New Phytologist 180:559-562.
- Funk, J. L., E.E. Cleland, K.N. Suding, E.S. Zavatela. 2008. Restoration through reassembly: plant traits and invasion resistance. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23: 695-703.
- Talluto, M.V. and K.N. Suding. 2008. Historical change in coastal sage scrub in southern California, USA in relation to fire frequency and air pollution. Landscape Ecology 23: 803-815.
- R.J. Hobbs and K.N. Suding. 2008. Synthesis: Are new models for ecosystem dynamics scientifically robust and helpful in guiding restoration projects? Pages 325-335. In: Hobbs, R.J. and K.N. Suding, eds. New Models for Ecosystem Dynamics and Restoration. Island Press, Washington DC.
- K.N. Suding and R.J. Hobbs. 2008. Models of ecosystem dynamics as frameworks for restoration ecology. Pages 3-21. In: Hobbs, R.J. and K.N. Suding, eds. New Models for Ecosystem Dynamics and Restoration. Island Press, Washington DC.
- R.J. Hobbs and K.N. Suding, eds. 2008. New Models for Ecosystem Dynamics and Restoration. Island Press, Washington DC. 566 pages.
- Collins, S.L, K.N. Suding, E.E. Cleland, M. Batty, S. Pennings, K. Gross, J. Grace, L. Gough, J. Fargione, C. Clark. 2008. Rank clocks and plant community dynamics. Ecology 89: 3534-3541.
- Suding, K.N., I. Ashton, H. Bechtold, W. Bowman, M. Mobley, and R. Winkleman. 2008. Plant and microbe contribution to community resilience in a directionally changing environment. Ecological Monographs 78: 313-329.
- Seastedt, T.R, R. Hobbs, and K.N. Suding. 2008. Management of novel ecosystems: are novel approaches required? Frontiers of Ecology and the Environment 6: 547-553.
- Chalcraft, D., S. Cox, E.E. Cleland, C.M. Clark, K.N. Suding, E. Weiher, and D.Pennington. 2008. Scale-dependent responses of plant diversity to nitrogen enrichment. Ecology 89: 2165-2171.
- Potts, D.L., W.S. Harpole, M.L. Goulden and K.N. Suding. 2008. The impact of invasion and subsequent removal of an exotic thistle, Cynara cardunculus, on CO2 and H2O vapor exchange in coastal California grassland. Biological Invasions 10: 1073-1084.
- Meier, C.L., K.N. Suding, and W.D. Bowman. 2008. Carbon flux from plant to soil: roots are a belowground source of phenolic secondary compounds in an alpine ecosystem. Journal of Ecology 3: 421-430.
- Ashton IW, Miller AE, Bowman WD, and KN Suding. 2008. Nitrogen preferences and plant-soil feedbacks as influenced by neighbors in the alpine tundra. Oecologia 156: 625-636.
- E.E. Cleland, C.M. Clark, S.L. Collins, J.E. Fargione, L. Gough, K.L. Gross, D.G. Milchunas, S.C. Pennings, W.D. Bowman, I.C. Burke, W.K. Lauenroth, G. P. Robertson, J.C. Simpson, D. Tilman and K.N. Suding. 2008. Species responses to nitrogen fertilization in herbaceous plant communities and associated species traits (Data paper). Ecology 89: 1175.
- Suding, K.N., S. Lavorel, F.S. Chapin, H. Cornelissen, S. Diaz, E. Garnier, D. Goldberg, D.U. Hooper, S.T. Jackson and M.L. Navas. 2008. Scaling environmental change through the community-level: a trait-based response-and-effect framework for plants. Global Change Biology 14:1125-1140.
- Harpole, W.S. and K.N. Suding. 2007. Frequency-dependence stabilizes competitive interactions among four annual plants. Ecology Letters 10: 1164-1169.
- Harpole, W.S., D. Potts, and K.N. Suding. 2007. Ecosystem responses to water and nitrogen amendment in a California grassland. Global Change Biology 13: 2341-2348.
- Gross, N., K.N. Suding, and S. Lavorel. 2007. Complementarity as a mechanism of coexistence between functional groups of grasses. Journal of Ecology 95: 1296-1305.
- Miller, A.E., W.D. Bowman, and K.N. Suding. 2007. Plant uptake of inorganic and organic nitrogen: neighbor identity matters. Ecology 88: 1832-1840.
- Seastedt, T.R., and K.N. Suding. 2007. Biotic constraints on the invasion on diffuse knapweed (Centaurea diffusa) in North American grasslands. Oecologia 151: 626-636.
- Reed, S.C., T.R. Seastedt, C.M. Mann, K.N. Suding, and A.R. Townsend. 2007. Phosphorus fertilization stimulates nitrogen fixation and increases inorganic nitrogen concentrations in a restored prairie. Applied Soil Ecology 36: 238-242.
- Clark, C., E.E. Cleland, S.C. Collins, J. Fargione, L. Gough, K.L. Gross, S. Pennings, K.N. Suding, and J. Grace. 2007. Environmental and plant community determinants of species loss following nitrogen enrichment. Ecology Letters 10: 596-607.
- Gross, N., K.N. Suding, and S.L. Lavorel. 2007. Leaf dry matter content and lateral spread predict response to land use change for six subalpine grassland species. Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 289-300.
- LeJeune, K.D., K.N. Suding, and T.R. Seastedt. 2006. Nutrient availability does not explain invasion and dominance of a mixed grass prairie by the exotic forb Centaurea diffusa Lam. Applied Soil Ecology 32: 98-110.
- Walker, M., C.H. Wahren, R. Hollister, G. Henry, K.N. Suding et al. 2006. Responses to experimental warming across the tundra biome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 103 (5): 1342-1346.
- Suding, K.N. and K.L. Gross. 2006. “The dynamic nature of ecological systems: multiple states and restoration trajectories” pages 190-209 in Foundations of Restoration Ecology, D. Falk, M. Palmer, and J. Zedler, eds, Island Press.
- Suding, K.N., A. Miller, H. Bechtold, and W. Bowman. 2006. The consequence of species loss on ecosystem nitrogen cycling depends on community compensation dynamics. Oecologia 149: 141-149.
- Talluto, M.V., K.N. Suding, and P.A. Bowler. 2006. Factors affecting understory establishment in coastal sage restoration. Madrono 53: 55-59.
- Suding, K.N. and K.L. Gross. 2006. Modifying native and exotic species richness correlations: the influence of fire and seed addition. Ecological Applications 16:1319-1326.
- Clark, B.R., C. deMazancourt, K.N. Suding, and S.E. Hartley. 2005. The effect of recycling on plant competitive hierarchies. American Naturalist 165 (6): 609-622.
- LeJeune, K.D., K.N Suding, S. Sturgis, A. Scott, and T.R. Seastedt. 2005. Biological control insect use of fertilized and unfertilized diffuse knapweed in a Colorado grassland. Environmental Entomology 34 (1): 225-234.
- Suding, K.N. 2005. Book review. The practice of restoration and the science of ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20: 587-588.
- Seastedt, T.R., K.N. Suding, and K.D. LeJeune. 2005. Understanding invasions: the rise and fall of diffuse knapweed (Centaurea diffusa) in North America. In: Inderjit, ed, Invasive Plants: ecological and agricultural aspects. Basal, Switzerland, Birkhauser-Verlag AG.
- Pennings, S., C.M. Clark, E.E. Cleland, S.L. Collins, L. Gough, K.L. Gross, D.G. Milchunas, and K.N. Suding. 2005. Do individual plant species show predictable responses to nitrogen addition across multiple experiments? Oikos110 (3): 547-555.
- Suding, K.N., S.L. Collins, L. Gough, C. Clark, E.E. Cleland, K.L. Gross, D.G. Milchunas, and S. Pennings. 2005. Functional- and abundance-based mechanisms explain diversity loss due to N fertilization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 102: 4387-4392. ***Selected as editors choice, Science 308: 326-327.
- Suding, K.N., J. Larson, E. Thorsos, H. Steltzer, and W.B. Bowman. 2004. Species effects resource supply rates: do they influence competitive interactions? Plant Ecology 175: 47-58.
- Suding, K.N., K.D. LeJeune, and T.R. Seastedt. 2004. Competitive impacts and responses of an invasive weed: dependencies on nitrogen and phosphorus availability. Oecologia 141: 526-535.
- Suding, K.N., K.L. Gross, and G. Houseman. 2004. Alternative states and positive feedbacks in restoration ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 46-53.
- Emery, S.M., K.L. Gross, and K.N. Suding. 2003. Spring burns best for controlling spotted knapweed in prairie restoration experiment. Ecological Restoration 21: 137-138.
- Suding, K.N., D.E. Goldberg, and K.M. Hartman. 2003. Relationships among species traits: separating levels of response and identifying linkages to abundance. Concepts and Synthesis Section. Ecology 84: 1-16.
- Suding, K.N. 2001. The effect of spring burning on competitive ranking of prairie species. Journal of Vegetation Science 12: 849-856.
- Suding, K.N. 2001. The effects of gap creation on competitive interactions: separating changes in overall intensity from relative rankings. Oikos 94: 219-227.
- Suding, K. N. and D.E. Goldberg. 2001. Do disturbances alter competitive hierarchies? Mechanisms of change following gap creation. Ecology 82: 2133-2149.
- Suding, K. N. and D.E. Goldberg. 1999. Variation in the effects of vegetation and litter across productivity gradients. Journal of Ecology 87:436-449.