Welcome to the Order Diptera page, also known as flies!
Information about Diptera in general:
- Diptera are distinguished from other flying insects by having only one pair of wings (the front).
- Diptera have evolved their rear wings into organs of equilibrium.
- Usually relatively small and soft-bodied.
- Diptera contains most of the insects that transmit diseases.
- Larvae of many Diptera are called maggots and are legless and wormlike.
- Some are agricultural pests while others help pollinate useful plants.
- Most adults feed on plants, but many are bloodsucking and many are predaceous on other insects.
Diptera identified and listed in alphabetical order by family name.