Welcome to the Order Phthiraptera page, also known as lice!
Information about Phthiraptera in general:
- Small, wingless ectoparasites that feed on mammals and birds.
- Two types of lice are: chewing (Mallophaga) and sucking (Anoplura), the latter being the blood-sucker.
- When Anopluranś feed, they use tiny hooks to attack to its host while feeding.
- No Mallophaga is known to attack humans.
- females usually lay between 50 and 150 eggs, attaching them to the hairs or feathers of the host, which hatch in about a week.
Phthiraptera identified and listed in alphabetical order by family name.