Welcome to the Order Psocoptera page, also known as psocids!
Information about Psocoptera in general:
- Small (most <0.6cm or 0.25in.), soft-bodied with fairly long antennae.
- If present, the wings are held over the body like a roof when not in use.
- Most species found in homes are wingless, found near books, and hence are given the nickname booklice.
- Other species live under bark or stones, in dead leaves or on the bark of trees, and hence are given the nickname barklice.
- Dispite the nicknames, these are not lice and are not parasitic as lice are.
- Some species feed on algae & lichen, some on molds, cereals, pollen and dead insects.
Psocoptera identified and listed in alphabetical order by family name.