Sara Moore preparing an experimental unit for a bed bug mattress protector trial.
UPMC has a diverse assortment of research projects. We are primarily known for our research on termites and bed bugs, but our research portfolio is quite broad. Projects have also included household ants, carpenter ants, cockroaches, and wood boring beetles.
Current and Recently Completed Research Projects:
- Laboratory and Field Investigations of Bed Bug Monitors
- Laboratory Investigations of Bed Bug Eggs
- Evaluation of the London Luxury Bed Bug Mattress Protector
- Evaluation of Optigard Liquid Ant Bait
- Assessment of Techniques for Improving Drywood Termite Inspections
- Field Evaluations of Localized Treatments for Drywood Termites in CA
- Bed Bug Host Seeking Behavior
- Product Testing for the Treatment of Argentine Ants in Southern CA
- Using Heat to Control Bed Bug Infestations
- Baiting Subterranean Termites with Lufenuron in Northern CA
- Using the Sentricon System to Control Subterranean Termites in CA
- Using Termidor to Control Subterranean Termites in Northern CA
- Using Fumigation to Control Bed Bug Infestations
UPMC has worked with dozens of University, State and federal agencies, internationally with several countries, and the United Nations. These collaborations are extensive and diverse, but primarily can be characterized as UPMC assisting in the identification and management of structural and household pests. The list that follows identifies public and private collaborators.
Sara Moore installing Sentricon® stations at a field site.
Vernard Lewis testing the microwave detection device at a field site.
- Dow AgroSciences
- Dunegan Engineering
- FMC Corporation
- Logos Imaging LLC
- London Luxury
- Nisus Cooperation
- Pest Control Operators of California (PCOC)
- Rio Tinto Minerals
- Structural Pest Control Board (SPCB)
- Syngenta Professional Products
- Target Specialty Products
- ThermaPure Heat
- Beneficial Exterminating, Inc.
- Clark Pest Control
- Newport Exterminating
- UC Berkeley College of Natural Resources
- USDA Forest Service, Institute of Forest Genetics
- Western Exterminator Company
* Research collaborators play a large role in fostering the growth and development of the UPMC. Research at Dr. Vernard Lewis's Lab would not be possible without industry, State, and academic collaborators, who have donated invaluable time and resources on various projects.