The Agricultural Resource Economics department offers 1-2 units of course credit for EEP students seeking to obtain authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

CPT is a type of off-campus work permission for F-1 international students who are currently pursuing study programs in the United States and want to gain experience in their fields of study.

CPT is not available after a student completes a degree program. Optional Practical Training (OPT) is available after completion of degree program and is generally applied for in a student's last semester.

Enrollment in EEP 197 must be concurrent with the employment. Employment may take place in the fall, spring or summer terms. Authorization will be granted on a semester-only basis. If a student wishes to work beyond the last day of the semester, they must enroll in the next available semester before authorization can be extended beyond the current term. 

Review of the EEP Major’s CPT process:

In order to enroll in EEP 197 you must do the following:

  • Obtain an EEP 197 (Contract, form, applications, ???)
  • CommunicateMeet with the EEP Major faculty advisor to discuss the duties/responsibilities of your internship and how they related to your studies as an EEP major..
  • Fill out the EEP 197 form completely and obtainGet the faculty advisor’s signature on the completed form.EEP 197 (Contract, form, applications, ???)
  • Submit your signed EEP 197 (Contract, form, applications, ???) and CPT form to the EEP academic advisor (
  • EEP academic advisor will enroll you in EEP 197 for the term requested.

The academic advisor will sign your CPT form and send it back to you with a CPT approval email to submit to BIO. Be sure to forward the CPT approval email to BIO when submitting your CPT form. If you do not forward the CPT approval email, BIO will not be able to authorize your CPT request.