Celebrating 150 Years
The roots of the College of Natural Resources (CNR) extend to the beginning of the UC system, when the federal Morrill Act established a national system of land grant universities to foster agricultural teaching and research. In 1868, the California legislature established the University of California in Berkeley and the College of Agriculture. In 1914, the College of Agriculture launched a forestry program that included the study of forests and wildlands, along with their resources and services, a program that eventually became the School of Forestry. In 1974, the former agricultural and forestry schools joined with other environmental, biological, and food sciences to form the College of Natural Resources. Today, CNR engages the issues that shape our world, from sustainable food systems to obesity, from water policy to energy policy, and from the far-reaching impacts of climate change to the linkages between the human genome, diet, and disease.
Sesquicentennial News and Stories
Molecular and cell biology professor Daniel E. Koshland Jr. and colleagues, circa 1963.
CNR Advisory Board member Kathy Hartzell, BA and BS ’72, on how the annual fund provides unwavering support for students, research, and collaborations across the College.