Note on Authorship: Papers stemming out of the Potts Research Group adhere to the first-last author emphasis. Papers from the group are noted here with a “*”, while italics indicate students and post-doctoral researchers in our group.
*52. †Evans, S.G., B.S. Ramage, T.L. DiRocco, and M.D. Potts. In Press. Greenhouse Gas Mitigation on Marginal Land: A Quantitative Review of the Relative Benefits of Forest Recovery vs. Biofuel Production. Environmental Science & Technology.
51. Kohyama, T.S., M.D. Potts, T.I. Kohyama, A.R. Kassim, and P.S. Ashton. In Press. Variation in Tree Size Distribution Reflects Demographic Properties Rather Than Population Change in a Malaysian Rainforest. The American Naturalist.
*50. Evans, S.G. and M.D. Potts. 2014. Effect of Agricultural Commodity Prices on Species Richness of US Grassland Birds. Environmental and Resource Economics. DOI 10.1007/s10640-014-9829-1.
49. Schwabe, K.A., R.T. Carson, J.R. DeShazo, M.D. Potts, A.N. Reese, and J.R. Vincent. 2014. Creation of Malaysia’s Royal Belum State Park: A Case Study of Conservation in a Developing Country. Journal of Environment and Development. DOI: 10.1177/1070496514551173
48. Vincent, J.R., R.T. Carson, J.R. DeShazo, K.A. Schwabe, I. Ahmad, S.K. Chong, Y.T. Chang, and M.D. Potts. 2014. Tropical countries may be willing to pay more to protect their forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1312246111.
*47. Doll, H.M., E. Butod, R.D. Harrison, C. Fletcher, A.R. Kassim, S. Ibrahim, and M.D. Potts. 2014. Environmental and Geographic Factors Driving Dung Beetle (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) Diversity in the Dipterocarp Forests of Peninsular Malaysia. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 62:549-560.
46. Feliciano, E. A., S. Wdowinski and M.D. Potts. 2014. Assessing Mangrove Above-Ground Biomass and Structure using Terrestrial Laser Scanning:A Case Study in the Everglades National Park. Wetlands. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-014-0558-6.
*45. Marshalek, E., B.S. Ramage, and M. D. Potts. 2014. Integrating Harvest Scheduling and Reserve Design to Improve Biodiversity Conservation. Ecological Modelling 287:27-35.
*44. DiRocco, T.L., B.S. Ramage, S.G. Evans, and M.D. Potts. 2014. Accountable Accounting: Carbon-Based Management on Marginal Land. Forests 5(4): 847-861. DOI:10.3390/f5040847.
*43. Doll, H.M., D.W. Armitage, R.A. Daly, J.B. Emerson, D.S.A. Goltsman, A. Yelton, J. Kerkes, M.K. Firestone, M.D. Potts. 2013. Utilizing novel diversity estimators to quantify multiple dimensions of microbial biodiversity across domains. BMC Microbiology 13:259. DOI: 10.1186/10.1186/1471-2180-13-259.
*42. Chua, S.C., B.S. Ramage, K.M. Ngo, M.D. Potts, and S.K.Y. Lum. 2013. Slow recovery of a secondary tropical forest in Southeast Asia. Forest Ecology and Management 308: 153-160.
*41. Evans, S.G., L.C. Kelley, and M.D. Potts. In Press. The Potential Impact of Second-Generation Biofuel Landscapes on At-Risk Species in the U.S. Global Change Biology Bioenergy. DOI: 10.1111/gcbb.12131.
*40. Ramage, B.S., E.C. Marshalek, J. Kitzes, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Conserving tropical biodiversity via strategic spatiotemporal harvest planning. Journal of Applied Ecology. DOI: 10.1111/1365-2664.12149.
*39. Lam, T.Y., A.R. Kassim, S.B. Ibrahim, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Evaluating Design Unbiasedness in the Pre-Felling Inventory of the Malaysian Selective Management System. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 25(4) 516-527.
*38. Luskin, M.S., E.D. Christina, L.C. Kelley, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Modern hunting practices and wild meat trade in the oil palm plantation-dominated landscapes of Sumatra, Indonesia. Human Ecology. DOI: 10.1007/s10745-013-9606-8.
*37. Lam, T.Y., C. Fletcher, B.S. Ramage, H.M. Doll, J.C. Luruthusamy, N.A. Mustafa, E. Butod, A.R. Kassim, R.D. Harrison, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Using Habitat Characteristics to Predict Faunal Diversity in Tropical Production Forests. Biotropica. DOI:10.1111/btp.12069.
*36. Potts, M.D., L.C. Kelley, and H.M Doll. 2013. Maximizing biodiversity co-benefits under REDD+: a decoupled approach. Environmental Research Letters 8: 0249019.
35. Iida, Y., L. Poorter, F. J. Sterck, A. R. Kassim, M.D. Potts, T. Kubo, and T. Kohyama 2014. Linking size-dependent growth and mortality with architectural traits across 145 co-occurring tropical tree species. Ecology 95(2): 353-363.
*34. Ong, X. R., S.C. Chua, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Recent records of the dung beetle Catharsius Molossus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in Singapore. Nature in Singapore, 6: 1–6.
*33. Ramage, B.S., J. Kitzes, E.C. Marshalek, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Optimized Floating Regugia: a new strategy for species conservation in production forest landscapes. Biodiversity and Conservation 22: 789-801.
*32. Ramage B.S., D. Sheil, H. M. W. Salim, C. Fletcher, N. Z. A. Mustafa, J. C, Luruthusamy, R. D. Harrison, E. Butod E, A. D. Dzulkiply, A. R. Kassim, and M.D. Potts. 2013. Pseudoreplication in tropical forests and the resulting effects on biodiversity conservation. Conservation Biology 27: 364-372.
*31. Davis, S.C., M. Dietze, E. DeLucia, C. Field, S.P. Hamburg, S. Loarie, W. Parton, M.D. Potts, B. Ramage, D. Wang, H. Youngs, and S.P. Long. 2012. Harvesting carbon from Eastern US forests: Opportunities and impacts of an expanding bioenergy industry. Forests, 3: 370-397.
*30. Salim, H. M.W., A.D. Dzulkiply, R.D. Harrison, C. Fletcher, A.R. Kassim, and M.D. Potts. 2012. Stingless bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae: Meliponini) diversity in dipterocarp forest reserves in Peninsular Malaysia. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 60(1):213-219.
*29. Luruthusamay, J.C., C.D. Fletcher, H.M.W. Salim, A.R. Kassim, R.D. Harrison, and M.D. Potts. 2011. The diversity of insectivorous bats in an upper hill dipterocarp forest of Temenggor Forest Reserve, Peninsular Malaysia. Malayan Nature Journal, 63(3): 569-576.
*28. Nur-Zati, M.A., H.M.W. Salim, C.D. Fletcher, A.R. Kassim, and M.D. Potts. 2011. Taxonomic and functional diversity of ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in an upper hill dipterocarp forest in Peninsular Malaysia. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 59(2): 181-194.
27. Iida, Y., L. Poorter, F.J. Sterck, A.R. Kassim, T. Kubo, M.D. Potts, and T.S. Kohyama. 2011. Wood density explains architectural differentiation across 145 co-occurring tropical tree species. Functional Ecology: doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2435.2011.01921.x.
*26. Luskin, M.S. and M.D. Potts. 2011. Microclimate and habitat heterogeneity through the oil palm lifecycle. Basic and Applied Ecology: doi:10.1016/j.baae.2011.06.004
25. Iida, Y., T.S. Kohyama, T. Kubo, A.R. Kassim, L. Poorter, F. Sterck, and M.D. Potts. 2011. Tree architecture and life-history strategies across 200 co-occurring tropical tree species. Functional Ecology: doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2435.2011.01884.x.
24. Kettle, C., J. Ghazoul, P. Ashton, C. Cannon, L. Chong, B. Diway, E. Faridah, R. Harrison, A. Hector, P. Hollingsworth, L. Koh, E. Khoo, K. Kitayama, K. Kartawinata, A. Marshall, C. Maycock, S. Nanami, G. Paoli, M.D. Potts, I. Samsoedin, D. Sheil, S. Tan, I. Tomoaki, C. Webb, T. Yamakura, and D. Burslem. 2011. Seeing the fruit for the trees in Borneo. Conservation Letters 4:184-191.
*23. Morlon, H. M.D. Potts, and J.B. Plotkin. 2010. Inferring the dynamics of diversification: A coalescent approach. PLoS Biology 8:9.
22. Kettle, C., J. Ghazoul, P. Ashton, C. Cannon, L. Chong, B. Diway, E. Faridah, R. Harrison, A. Hector, P. Hollingsworth, L. Koh, E. Khoo, K. Kitayama, K. Kartawinata, A. Marshall, C. Maycock, S. Nanami, G. Paoli, M.D. Potts, I. Samsoedin, D. Sheil, S. Tan, I. Tomoaki, C. Webb, T. Yamakura, and D. Burslem. 2010. Mass fruiting in Borneo: A missed opportunity. Science 330: 584.
*21. Muchhala, N., Z. Brown, W.S. Armbruster, and M.D. Potts. 2010. Competition drives specialization in pollination systems through costs to male fitness. The American Naturalist: 176: 732-743.
*20. Potts, M.D. and T. Kimbrell. 2009. Rules of thumb for the control of vector-borne diseases in a spatial environment. Pp. 273-292. In: Spatial Ecology (R. S. Cantrell, C. Cosner and S. Ruan, eds.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
19. Cosner, C., J.C. Beier, R. S. Cantrell, D. Impoinvil, L. Kapitanski, M. D. Potts, A. Troyo, and S. Ruan. 2009. The effects of human movement on the persistence of vector-borne disease. Journal of Theoretical Biology 258: 550-560.
18. Impoinvil, D.E., J. Keating, C.M. Mbogo, M.D. Potts, R. Roy Chowdhury, and J.C. Beier. 2008. Abundance of immature Anopheles and culicines (Diptera: Culicidae) in diﬀerent water body types in the urban environment of Malindi, Kenya. Journal of Vector Ecology 33:1-10.
17. Potts, M.D. and J.R. Vincent. 2008. Harvest and extinction in multi-species ecosystems. Ecological Economics 65:336-447.
16. Potts, M.D. and J.R. Vincent. 2008. Spatial distribution of species populations, relative economic values, and the optimal size and number of reserves. Environmental and Resource Economics 39:91-112.
*15. Muchhala, N. and M.D. Potts. 2007. Character displacement among bat-pollinated ﬂowers of the genus Burmeistera: analysis of mechanism, process and pattern. Proc. R. Soc. B. 474: 2731-2737.
14. Russo, S.E., M.D. Potts, S.J. Davies, and S. Tan. 2007. Determinants of tree species distributions: Comparing the roles of dispersal, seed size, and soil specialization in a Bornean rain forest. In: Seed Dispersal: Theory and its Application in a Changing World (A. Dennis, E. W. Schupp, R. Green, and D. Wescott, eds.), CAB International, New York.
13. Potts, M.D., A.R. Kassim, M.N. Nur Supardi, S. Tan, and W.H. Bossert. 2005. Sampling tree diversity in Malaysian tropical forests: an evaluation of a pre-felling inventory. Forest Ecology and Management 205: 385-395.
12. Davies, S.J., S. Tan, J.V. LaFrankie and M.D. Potts. 2005. Soil-related ﬂoristic variation in the hyperdiverse dipterocarp forest in Lambir Hills, Sarawak. Pp. 22-34. In: Pollination Ecology and the Rain Forest (Sarawak Studies) (D. Roubik, S. Sakai, and A.A. Hamid Karim, eds.). Springer, New York.
11. Vincent, J.V. and M.D. Potts. 2004. Nonlinearities, biodiversity conservation, and sustainable forest management. Pp. 207-222. In: Sustainability, Economics, and Natural Resources, Economics of Sustainable Forest Management (S. Kant and R. A. Berry, eds.).. Springer, Netherlands.
10. Potts, M.D., S.J. Davies, W.H. Bossert, S. Tan, and M.N. Nur Supardi. 2004. Habitat heterogeneity and niche structure of trees in two tropical rain forests. Oecologia 139: 446-474.
9. Potts, M.D. 2003. Drought eﬀects in a Bornean everwet rainforest. Journal of Ecology 91: 467-474.
8. Potts, M.D., P. S. Ashton, J. B. Plotkin, and L. S. Kaufman. 2002. Habitat patterns in tropical rainforests: a comparison of 105 plots in Northwest Borneo. Ecology 83: 2782-2797.
7. Potts, M.D., J.B. Plotkin, H.S. Lee, N. Manokaran, P.S. Ashton, and W.H. Bossert. 2001. Sampling biodiversity: Eﬀects of plot dhape. The Malaysian Forester 64: 29-34.
6. Cavender-Bares, J., M.D. Potts, E. Zacharias, and F.A. Bazzaz. 2000. Consequences of CO2 and light interactions for leaf phenology, growth, and senescence in Quercus rubra. Global Change Biology 6: 877-887
5. Plotkin, J. B., M.D. Potts, N. Leslie, N. Manokaran, J.V. LaFrankie, and P.S. Ashton. 2000. Species-area curves, spatial aggregation, and habitat specialization in tropical forests. Journal of Theoretical Biology 207: 81-99.
4. Plotkin, J. B., M.D. Potts, D W. Yu, S. Bunyavejchewin, R. Condit, R. Foster, S. Hubbell, J.V. LaFrankie, N. Manokaran, H.L. Seng, R. Sukumar, M.A. Nowak, and P.S. Ashton. 2000. Predicting species diversity in tropical forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97: 10850-10854.
3. Kubo, T., T. Kohyama, M.D. Potts, and P.S. Ashton. 2000. Mortality rate estimation when inter-census intervals vary. Journal of Tropical Ecology 16: 753-756.
2. Yu, D.W., J.W. Terborgh, and M.D. Potts. 1998. Can high tree species richness be explained by Hubbell’s null model? Ecology Letters 1: 193-199.
1. Potts, M.D., W.C. Parkinson, and L.D. Nooden. 1997. Raphanus sativus and electromagnetic ﬁelds. Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics 44: 131-140.