“Achieving a Sustainable and Energy Efficient Future for Mexico and California”
Coordinator: Adrian Fernandez Bremauntz, Director, Mexico Climate Initiative
Description: Mexico and California have established several mechanisms of cooperation on clean energy and environment at the national and subnational levels. Leveraging this framework to advance new strategic collaborations on areas such as energy efficiency, electromobility, water energy and clean-energy grid integration is a timely exercise, in light of the need to advance sustainable development practices on both sides of the common border and achieve a low-carbon future. Relevant questions to frame the discussion in this session include:
- What is the best way to harness California’s advanced clean energy policy and technology platform in support of Mexico’ sustainable development strategies?
- What areas of work in the California -Mexico clean energy agenda present the best opportunity to establish impactful collaborations in the short, medium and long term?
- What is the best way to engage the private sector in California and Mexico to encourage their participation in supporting clean energy R&D?
- What strategies must be followed to create a model of clean energy collaboration that could be supported by international organizations and foundations?
- What are the elements that need to be considered in the development of a California-Mexico clean energy plan for the border region?
Odón de Buen Rodríguez
Comisión Nacional para el Uso Eficiente de la Energía (CONUEE)
California Energy Commission
Mexico Energy Initiative
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Suggested session format and timeline:
0-15 min: Coordinators introduce stage participants
15-25: Session coordinators describe the subtopics and the objectives of the session
25-46: Each panelist presents a perspective on the topic at hand (7 min each)
46-95: Coordinators open the floor for questions and discussion using pre-determined subtopics and session goals as guide
95-120: Identification of items to be presented to the plenary