Independent Study

You may enroll in a departmental 99 or 199 independent study course to obtain academic credit during the fall or spring semester for the research you complete under the guidance of a faculty sponsor.

The number of units you can earn for your 99 or 199 independent course study depends on the amount of research you conduct on a weekly basis (3 hours/week = 1 unit). The grading option is P/NP only. To receive academic credit for your research, you must first identify a CNR faculty member who will supervise you for on-campus research, and then submit a completed 99 or 199 application for independent study to the appropriate undergraduate advisor for the department.

You must submit an application for each semester that you wish to receive independent study credit. Visit the appropriate undergraduate staff advisor to obtain an application form and find out about any other departmental requirements regarding independent study for your major.

Sponsored Projects for Undergraduate Research

The Sponsored Projects for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) Program encourages faculty and undergraduate students in the College of Natural Resources to collaborate on research projects by providing a grant to support their joint project. The funding for this program is generously donated by CNR alumni.

Eligible students who have identified a project or topic that they would like to pursue are encouraged to seek a CNR faculty mentor to assist them. Faculty who have projects in which undergraduate researchers could gain useful research experience are urged, as well, to collaborate with CNR undergraduates.

Poster Sessions

The Office of Instruction and Student Affairs sponsors two poster sessions each year (fall and spring) at which CNR undergraduates present their research. Poster sessions give you the opportunity to explain and showcase your independent projects to a large audience.

Honors Symposia

The Office of Instruction and Student Affairs requires all students in its Honors Program to present their research through oral presentation at its two Honors Program Symposia each year (one in late Fall and one in late Spring).


Opportunities to affiliate with our many research centers [link], working with faculty, staff, or the federal work-study program.