College of Natural Resources, UC Berkeley

Types of Funds


Make a secure online gift now

Endowed funds provide a permanent source of income to meet the needs of CNR faculty and students. These funds may be named for the donor or someone the donor wishes to honor. Endowed funds are managed by the UC Berkeley Foundation or The Regents of the University of California. Endowments are invested and only a portion of the income is released for a designated purpose. The remaining income is added back to principal so that the endowment grows over time. Endowed funds may be unrestricted or restricted for a specific purpose, such as chairs, distinguished professorships or fellowships. They may be established through an outright gift of cash or securities or a planned gift or bequest.

For more information please contact the Office of College Relations at (510) 643-8860, or email

Memorial/Honorary Funds

Make a secure online gift now

A memorial fund can help perpetuate the values and ideals that guided someone's life. Typically memorial funds are established for a specific purpose.

Honorary funds can commemorate a significant event or someone who is still living.

Memorial or honorary gifts may be given to the Berkeley Fund for Natural Resources.

For more information please contact the Office of College Relations at (510) 643-8860, or email

Restricted Current-Use

Make a secure online gift now

Restricted current-use funds are established to support the funds’ designated purpose. These funds allow CNR the flexibility to support unique programs and opportunities as they are presented. You may designate your giving to an existing restricted fund that meets your philanthropic objectives or you may wish to establish a new fund.

College-wide restricted current-use funds:

Departmental & Special Programs restricted current-use funds:

Search for a Fund

For more information please contact the Office of College Relations at (510) 643-8860, or email

Capital Support

CNR Strategic Facilities Plan

CNR seeks to raise funds to make critical infrastructure renovations and technology upgrades, to improve its research and classroom facilities, and to preserve some of California's most beautiful and historic academic buildings. In the fall of 2010, CNR completed its first capital improvement project on the ground floor of Morgan Hall – home to our Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology. This was the campuses first LEED Certified laboratory renovation and the College anticipates this project will be certified Gold LEED. We are particularly proud of this first project because it is in alignment with our vision and values at CNR – in creating a sustainable planet.

Recently, CNR also completed a facilities strategic plan that outlines the many challenges as well as opportunities for the College to improve its aging infrastructure. Through this process CNR has identified Hilgard Hall as the next major capital improvement project. Inscribed on the west façade of Hilgard Hall, a stunning architectural achievement of John Galen Howard, reads the motto: “To rescue for human society the native values of rural life.” Built in 1917, this 77,000-square-foot laboratory building lies at the physical and intellectual heart of CNR’s efforts to sustain the planet. As the core laboratory facility of UC Berkeley’s Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management, Hilgard Hall is home to researchers addressing the pressing environmental issues of our time, including climate change, biodiversity, renewable energy, and sustainable ecosystem management. They are also providing the science that informs California as the national leader in environmental policy.

Our vision for Hilgard Hall is a building—held to the highest standards in green design—that accommodates cutting-edge work in environmental chemistry, hydrology, and biological science. Beneath its historic façade, the new Hilgard Hall’s modern research space will foster interaction and discovery among ESPM researchers and students.

If you would like to support the Hilgard Hall project please contact Kathryn Moriarty Baldwin at 510-643-6641.

For more information please contact the Office of College Relations at (510) 643-8860, or email