We are gearing up to be a huge and popular presence at Cal Day at the CNR space on the GPB Lawn.
Please come by - families are welcome! Most of the action will be taking place between 11 am and 2 pm on the Lawn and includes:
1. Ice Nucleation Magic Show: Members of Steve Lindow's Lab will demonstrate ice nucleation, a phenomenon where bacteria cause ice crystals to quickly form on plants. This amazing process was discovered by Lindow, who now uses it in his lab for research applications.
2. Yeast Farts and Microscopes - make your own slide and view incredible sights on the 'scopes we'll have set up. Put yeast in various types of culture to see if they produce gases that would inflate a balloon or lab glove.
3. Prize Wheel - Answer the question about plants and microbes correctly and win a prize while learning a thing or two!
4. PMB Info Table - Learn about undergraduate majors and research opportunities while interacting with scientists, professors, and students.
5. Micro Student Group - Microbes are everywhere, from the deepest crevices in our bodies to the germs that make us sick. What are "good" microbes and how do they benefit us?
6. Plant Student Group - Join our amazing graduate students as they demonstrate where common foods come fro, how to use a dichotomous key to identify plants, and look through magnifying lenses to view plants up and close and personal - in a way you've never seen them before.
7. Millet Exhibit - Learn all about this fabulous grain and meet with scientists and researchers from the Millet Project.
8. Prize Wheel - guess the correct biology answer and win a prize!
9. Microgarden - check our our amazing microgarden collection and view these fascinating specimens through the microscope.
Also - SNOW CONES!