Help us tell the Rausser College story by entering our photo contest! Submit your best images for a chance to win prizes and to have your work featured in Rausser College publications and social media.
Guidelines for Photographers
- Deadline for Submissions: January 6, 2021
- Limit five photos per person
- All photos must be original and must depict activities, research, teaching, or people in or related to the Rausser College of Natural Resources.
- Photos should be taken within the past 5 years
- Rausser College resilience: This year’s tumultuous events have precipitated significant changes in plans. Share photos that show how you’re adapting and continuing on despite it all. This category could include photos of your home study space, a social distanced class, researchers wearing masks, effects of wildfire on your research site, etc.
- Research, teaching, and outreach in action: Share photos that show you or others conducting research in the lab or the field, or using the tools of your trade. These photos can also include work with an impact beyond research—for instance, a citizen science initiative, Cooperative Extension work, volunteering with a local nonprofit, or educational opportunities on or off campus.
- Scholarship spotlight: Photos that depict the places, people, and things that are the focus of your research or teaching. Whether a charming insect, a microdam for energy generation, or a group of people reinventing our food systems, this category is a great opportunity to show what makes your research focus particularly unique, fascinating, or significant.
- Macro/Micro: These photos specifically include large and small scale photography, such as those images taken with a microscope, macro lenses, satellite and GIS, etc.
- The contest is open to current and former members of the Rausser College of Natural Resources, defined broadly to include faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students, staff, and alumni.
- All photos must be taken by the entrant. By submitting an entry, the participant is confirming that (a) they took the photo; and (b) they grant the College permission to use the photo as described below.
Selection Process & Prizes
- Prizes will be awarded to 1st and 2nd place winners in each category.
- Submissions will be reviewed anonymously by a panel of judges made up of members of the Rausser College dean’s office staff and College alumni advisory boards (including student representatives).
- Individual participants may submit up to five entries and may receive more than one award.
- By submitting photos you also give permission for your images to be used (with photo credit) on the College’s websites, social media, and in print. Winning photos will be posted on College websites and social media channels and may also be featured in Breakthroughs magazine and other print collateral such as thank you cards and promotional materials.
- To enter, email your photos as email attachments to email@example.com, with subject line “PHOTO CONTEST SUBMISSION.”
- Photo formats accepted: .jpg, .png, .psd, .tiff
- Please submit image in the highest resolution / largest size you have
- Include in the body of the email for each photo:
- Photo Title
- Category (see above)
- Description - ideally a sentence or two explaining what is shown. Can be longer.
- Approximate date photo was taken
- Also include in your email your affiliation with the College (if alumni, please note graduating year and degree)
Judges will take into consideration these criteria: composition, visual appeal, representation of the category, connection with the Rausser College of Natural Resources, color, lighting, exposure and focus, overall impression/impact.