Below you will find a list of CNR's Academic Policies in relation to Courses & Grades

*Please note, the links below will link to content found on this page.

CNR offers two grading options, and transfer credits from a variety of other schools.  

Passed/Not Passed Grading Option

The Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) grading option is intended to encourage students to take electives without worrying about their grades. A grade of P corresponds to a C− or better. P/NP grades are not calculated into your cumulative GPA.

A maximum of one-third of your total units may be taken P/NP. If you receive more than 12 units of NP grades, your registration may be blocked. You cannot take any of your major requirements on a P/NP basis. You may change your grading option from letter grade to P/NP or P/NP to letter grade until the Friday of the tenth week of classes.

Incomplete Grades

Should circumstances beyond your control prevent you from being able to finish your work in a course, a grade of Incomplete may be assigned by the instructor. Your work in the class up to that point must be at least of a 2.0 average in order to receive an I grade. If the instructor agrees to give you an I grade, you must make arrangements with the instructor for completion of the required coursework at least 30 days prior to the deadlines noted below. Faculty (or department chairs) are under no obligation to accept and grade work submitted after the deadline.

IMPORTANT: Do not re-enroll in the course in order to remove your incomplete!

All undergraduates must observe the following deadlines for replacement of an incomplete: 


You are expected to meet these deadlines even if you are not enrolled in classes or if you are studying abroad. To remove your Incomplete, you must complete Section I of the Petition to Remove an Incomplete Grade . When you have finished the coursework, submit the petition to the instructor, who will then file the petition at the Office of the Registrar. Be sure to keep a copy for your own records.

If you are unable to finish a course by the deadline, you may request an extension of time from the Associate Dean of Instruction and Student Affairs by completing a <general Student’s Petition> < >. All requests for extension must be made prior to the <deadline date> <anchor link to chart above> and must include a letter of support from your instructor.

If you do not meet the deadline to complete your coursework, your I grade will lapse into an F grade (or NP if the course was taken on a P/NP basis). 

A student may freeze up to two I grades so that they remain permanently on the record as Incompletes (they never lapse to an F or NP) by filing the appropriate petition  by the appropriate deadline. Once an I grade has been frozen, the course or its equivalent can never be completed or repeated. Thus, a student may not freeze an I grade in a required course.

Employment Verification for a Reduced Study List

A student who works may be eligible for a reduced study list. All work must be PAID employment; work-study is acceptable. Volunteer work is not considered for a reduced study load. By the fifth week of classes, regardless if you are reducing your study list or not, the Office of Instruction and Student Affairs requires a completed Employment Verification for Reduced Study List form.

We must verify your employment with your employer, and will make only two attempts to do so.

Even if the College of Natural Resources gives you permission to take fewer than 13 units, you may not be considered a full-time student by other departments and units on campus. If you are a recipient of financial aid or a scholarship award, check with the Financial Aid Office as well as with the administrators for your scholarships for further details on the impact it may cause to current and/or future financial aid packages and other monetary awards.

Hours worked per week Reduced Load (Units)

Hours worked per weekReduced Load (Units)
15-19  10
20-29  8
30 or more  6

Repeating Courses

You may want to consider repeating a course if you received a deficient (NP, F, D−, D, or D+) grade in it. There are some limitations on this measure:

  • The course must be the same UC Berkeley course you originally took.
  • If you took the course for a letter grade the first time, you must take it for a letter grade the second time.
  • If you took the course P/NP the first time, you may take it P/NP or for a letter grade the second time.
  • Your new grade will replace the original grade, although the original grade will remain on your transcript. The original grade will not factor into your GPA. 
  • You may not take a course for a third time and receive grade points. A course repeated more than once will not be included in your grade point average, but a passing grade in the repeated course will be accepted in satisfaction of requirements for the degree.
  • If you receive a grade of Incomplete upon repetition of a course, the grade of D+, D, D−, or F will continue to be computed in the grade-point average until the I grade is replaced.
  • If you enroll in a course in which you received an I grade, the I will lapse to an F. 

If you repeat more than 12 units of repeatable courses, both the new and the original grades will factor into your GPA. Keep in mind that some professional and graduate schools factor in repeated course grades when calculating undergraduate GPAs.

Transferring Coursework

Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB)/General Certificate of Education (GCE) Credit

You can translate AP, IB, and GCE test scores into units of credit at UC Berkeley; this process is handled by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The credit you receive from AP, IB, or GCE test scores may be applied to your degree progress, for example if you wish to graduate early (see <AP Exam> and <Higher Level IB Exam> Equivalency Charts below).

Your AP credits must appear on your UC Berkeley transcript before they can be used to meet major requirements. While your major may accept AP exams to satisfy a major requirement, consult with your major advisor to discuss what impact this may have on you. Remember that substitution is optional and students more often struggle with the subsequent biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses if they don’t take the introductory courses at UC Berkeley. Pre-Med students: Please note that most medical and pre-health graduate programs do not accept AP units for pre-med requirements. 

[following note pertains to the AP Exam Equivalency chart]
* A score of 3 is also acceptable for these majors.

Higher-Level IB Exam Equivalency Chart

Your IB credits must appear on your UC Berkeley transcript before they can be used to meet major requirements. While the major may accept IB exams to satisfy a major requirement, consult with your major advisor to discuss what impact this may have on you. Remember that substitution is optional and students more often struggle with the subsequent biology and chemistry courses if they don’t take the introductory courses at UC Berkeley.
Pre-Med students: Please note that most medical and pre-health graduate programs do not accept IB units toward admission requirements. 

Junior Transfer Credit

UC awards graduation credit for up to 70 semester (105 quarter) units of transferable lower-division (freshman/sophomore) coursework from a community college. That means those units will be counted toward completion of your degree. Courses in excess of 70 semester (105 quarter) units will not receive unit credit but will receive subject credit and may be used to satisfy UC’s subject requirements. This does not pertain to coursework taken at a four-year institution. Transfer credit is handled by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.


Intercampus Visitor

The Intercampus Visitor Program allows undergraduates enrolled at one UC campus to apply to another as an intercampus visitor for one term. Permission to participate in this program is granted on a very limited basis and only for valid academic reasons. Apply at Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall.

Concurrent Enrollment

Students may not enroll simultaneously in UC Berkeley’s College of Natural Resources and in another institution, except during the summer. If you can demonstrate unusual circumstances that may require concurrent enrollment, meet with your advisor to request approval before enrolling in the other institution. Incoming freshmen and transfer students are not allowed to apply for concurrent enrollment their first semester. Students approved for concurrent enrollment during regular semesters must also remain enrolled in a minimum of 13 units on campus.

Cross-Registration Programs with Other Schools

Berkeley has cross-registration programs with California State University, East Bay; Mills College; San Francisco State University; Sonoma State University; Holy Names University; John F. Kennedy University; and Dominican University. With the approval of your advisor and the Office of Instruction and Student Affairs, you may register and pay your fees at UC Berkeley and be exempt from tuition and fees at the host campus. You may enroll for only one course per semester at the host campus.

In addition to these established programs, a program created by California State Senate Bill (SB) 1914 makes it possible for any Berkeley student to attend a class each semester at any campus of the California State University or Community College systems. Under these programs, students from the other institutions can also attend classes at Berkeley. Please note that students participating in the SB 1914 exchange program may be subject to a $10 administrative fee, depending on the institution. For more information, go to Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul
Hall or call Special Registration at (510) 642-1988.

UC Berkeley Extension Credit

UC Berkeley Extension courses with numbers below 200 and preceded by an XB (such as XB132) are equivalent to courses offered at UC Berkeley. They satisfy the same requirements and the credit is counted as equal to the same course taken at Berkeley. UC Extension courses with numbers below 200 preceded by an X alone may be considered for fulfillment of requirements on a case-by-case basis. Check with your undergraduate advisor before enrolling in such a course.

Note: UC Berkeley Extension courses do not count toward residency requirements.

All UC Berkeley–matriculated undergraduate students (except those in dismissal status and those who have already completed a UC Berkeley undergraduate program) will automatically have all XB coursework included with grade points on their Berkeley campus transcript. XB coursework completed prior to fall 2005 is not eligible for the transfer of grades or grade points to the Berkeley campus transcript. Note that if you are registered exclusively at UC Extension, you are not considered a Berkeley student, even if you are applying your credit toward a Berkeley degree.